Grow New Varieties of California Poppies
Native golden-orange California poppies (Eschscholzia californica) thrive in home gardens, but today they have competition from showy new varieties in a wide range of colors. Here are some to try. Seeds are available from a variety of companies including Renee’s Garden, Select Seeds, Botanical Interests and Thompson & Morgan.
- ‘Jelly Beans’ - Pleated double petals are washed with Easter-egg pink, coral, rose and salmon.
- ‘Apricot Chiffon’ - Single-petal flowers are streaked with warm soft shades of peach and red-coral.
- ‘Buttermilk’ - Fluted flowers glow in shades of cream and yellow.
- ‘Appleblossom’ - Ruffled double blossoms are silvery pink with golden centers that seem to capture sunshine.
- ‘Dusky Rose’ - Glowing pink flowers are a perfect match for the gray-green foliage.
- ‘Dairy Maid’ - Ruffled buttery-yellow blooms are softened with cream and apricot.