Fruit Trees and Vines
- Continue periodic, thorough irrigation to maintain adequate soil moisture until winter rains begin.
- Operate drip irrigation systems until we receive at least two inches of rain; this helps prevent salt injury.
- Prune out dead and severely damaged shoots of deciduous trees before foliage drops.
- Cover grape clusters with paper bags (poke small holes for ventilation) to protect maturing fruit from yellow jackets and birds.
- Check on maturity of kiwi fruit. Maturity is measured by a change in seed color from white to brown or black. Pick large fruit first, but harvest before fruit softens.