Garden Etiquette and Safety
Consider incorporating the following ideas:
- Be fair and courteous.
- Take care not to step into the beds and crush the young plants.
- Garden soil should not be walked on (this compacts the soil and makes it hard for the plants to grow).
- Share tools.
- Always clean tools before placing in designated area.
- Help keep litter and trash picked up.
- Plant in the soil; do not play with it.
- Always water gently so seeds and plants are not washed away.
- Water your plants, not your friends.
- Bugs are busy, watch them work.
- Touch everything, but pick nothing unless you ask the teacher first.
|A colorful poster in the garden will remind
students of the safety and/or etiquette rules.
Safety guidelines might include:
- Tools are to be kept below the waist.
- Stay in the garden with your teacher.
- Walk. Dont run in the garden.
- Pointed tools should be laid down with the points in the ground.
- Never use tools as toys.
- Keep tools out of pathways.
- Be responsible and have fun.